Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tips for Writing a Good Blog

As I've said in previous posts, that I am new to writing blogs, so with that being said, your probably how I'm going to give advise on something I'm new at. Well, I'm not. Basically, I want this to be a resource center. So again I've looked online for ideas, and am sharing them with you. I'm going to relate what I've learned to this particular blog.
So here are my ten tips for writing a good blog:

1) Know your target audience. This may seem pretty obvious but it is the step most often skipped. In my case I would say that my target audience are individuals who are interested in making money online as either a secondary income or as passive income. Since I'm initially going to be advertising this site at college campuses and MySpace I would expect you to be between 18-25 or if a non-traditional student someone who is currently going to school full-time and working and would like to try to find a way to make extra money.

2) Set the tone of your blog. After determining your target audience, you want to try to determine how you'll be writing to them. In my case, since I'm expecting my target audience to generally be of college age, Ive decided that I want to write this as a laid back, easy to understand blog. I won't be getting to technical partially because I don't know enough to get technical and partially because I think its boring to read.

3) Be honest. It sounds so obvious, but too often people prefer to tell you stories and keep you coming back rather than tell you the truth. In the case of this blog, I don't expect this to be easy and that I'm going to be making a $100 a day tomorrow but at the same time, I'm not to proud to say that I don't dream about making money with this blog. I'm not here to sell you anything. I'm here to learn and try to pass on what I learn. If I make money with it, great, if not hopefully my grammar and possibly my writing will improve.

4) Actually write. Don't just list a whole bunch of links to the information that people came to your site for. We all know how annoying it is to go to web site that tells us nothing but links to everything. This isn't to say that having some links on your site is bad, in fact, having links to other helpful information is great, just don't overdo it.

5) Keep It Simple Sweet. You've heard this a million times in a million different contexts. In a nutshell, what were saying is keep the paragraphs short, don't ramble and keep the writing as easy to understand as possible.

6) Quality over quantity. I can write a blog a day everyday, however one of three things is going to happen. 1. I'm going to get tired of writing everyday. 2. Your going to get tired of hearing from me everyday or 3. I'm going to run out of things to write about and the quality of my writing will go down.

7) RSS feeds. You're probably wondering what the heck is an RSS feed. Well, it stands for Really Simple Syndication and the best way to think of it is similar to a magazine subscription. When you post a new blog, people get it sent to them. This eliminates the need for people to have to bookmark your page or remember to waste there time coming to your page if you haven't updated anything on it.

8) Edit your blog. It takes about two seconds to do a spell check, and it can really improve the blog significantly.

9) Use a lot of keywords. Think about what people will type in when they do a Google search and put those words through out your blog, just make sure that they seem natural and not just thrown in there to get extra hits.

10) Finally, practice. I don't expect my writing to be fantastic at first, however it will get better with time and eventually, It may even be pretty good.

I hope that this helped and again I always accept comments and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment